In 1924, the founding members of the city of Graham and local physicians realized the importance of having a modern hospital in the city. This hospital was a benevolent foundation to be turned over to the city of Graham after 25 years. M.K. Graham not only donated the land to build the hospital, but offered $20,000 if the citizens would match this amount. Within three days of the challenge, 75% of the money had been raised, and thus Graham General Hospital was begun and remained on Cherry Street until 1957.
In 1956, under the Hill-Burton Act, Graham General Hospital was constructed on its current location and was officially opened in 1957. Since that time, expansions and improvements to the hospital have been made through the generosity and support of this community.
In 1997, a Graham Hospital Foundation was formed and a new $6.2 million expansion of the hospital was started. A $1.4 million challenge grant was issued by local benefactors of Graham to match these funds for the new facility. One year after the project was started, 99% of the money pledged had been collected.
This expansion increased the emergency room to more than 3,600 square feet and included a designated trauma room, cardiac room, 3-bed general room, OB, and pediatric room. A new outpatient surgery area was also added that included operating rooms with state-of-the-art equipment. In addition to that expansion, the hospital was redesigned to include a 3,500 square foot clinic complete with its own patient waiting area for the various specialists who come to Graham on a weekly basis. Specialists utilizing this clinic are gastroenterologists, neurologists, urologists, orthopedics, and cardiologists.
Graham Regional Medical Center is a political subdivision of the State of Texas.
Political Subdivision Contact Information
Graham Hospital District d/b/a Graham Regional Medical Center.
Tammy Whittenburg, Secretary, Graham Hospital District Board of Directors.
1301 Montgomery Road, Graham, TX 76450